About the Author
I’m Shaun David Hutchinson, you can call me Shaun. Or Hutch. I’ll respond to anything. I’m the author of books for young adults, the first of which was The Deathday Letter, and the most recent of which are The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley (out 1/20/2015) and the anthology Violent Ends (Fall 2015).
I was born in West Palm Beach, FL, and grew up in Jupiter, FL where I’ve lived most of my life save for a couple of adventures in Atlanta and Rhode Island. I always knew I wanted to be a writer but it took me a long time to figure out I could be one. I’ve been a database developer, managed a wine company, slung coffee at Starbucks, and once spent a creepy month working in a statuary. Luckily, that was before I’d seen the Weeping Angels on Doctor Who. I studied literature in college where I fell in love with Beowulf and Chaucer and gothic literature. I also studied emergency medicine at one time and insurance at another. Currently, I work in IT and fill my remaining hours with freelance web design, database design, and editing.
Facts about Shaun
- The Deathday Letter (Simon Pulse, 2010)
- fml (Simon Pulse, 2012)
- Better in the anthology Grim, edited by Christine Johnson (Harlequin Teen, 2014)
- The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley (Simon Pulse, 1/20/2015)
- Violent Ends (as editor – Simon Pulse, Fall 2015)
- Jupiter High School (class of 1996)
- Florida Atlantic University (class of I was too ADD to finish)
- Donnie Darko
- Cabin in the Woods
- Friday Night Lights
- Pacific Rim
- Indiana Jones (skip 2 and 4)
- Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2
- Alien & Aliens
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Friday Night Lights
- Gillmore Girls
- Battlestar Galactica
- Game of Thrones
- Top Chef
- Orphan Black
- Doctor Who
- The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith
- Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
- Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
- The Unwind Dystology by Neal Shusterman
- The Curseworkers series by Holly Black
- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
- The Canterbury Tales
- The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- The Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness
- The Raven Boys series by Maggie Stiefvater
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
- Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz
- Anything by Ernest Hemingway…just kidding. I hate Hemingway.
Books that influenced me as a kid
- The Dark is Rising Sequence
- The Chronicles of Narnia
- The Hobbit
- The Great Brain series
- My dog is fat. His name is Chewie.
- I collect action figures. My favorite is the martian dressed as a woman from Mars Attacks!
- I’m trying to learn how to sculpt and have started with the characters from the comic book within The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley.
- I once wrote an entire 140k word book longhand with a fountain pen and swore never to do it again.
- I’m obsessed with organization but am never organized.
- I have ADHD.
- I was involved in theater in high school to get over being shy. I’m still shy.
- I competed on my high school’s debate team in extemporaneous speaking.
- I hate frappucinos.
- I desperately wish I could draw but have zero talent for it.
- I hate shoes.
- My ideal place to live is Boulder, CO.
- I hate clowns. Hate them.
- I love music. Everything from Janis Joplin to the Decemberists to the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs.
- I am passionate about gay rights.
- I am also passionate about suicide prevention.
- I am still not a banana.